Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 13 and Day 14

Day 13: Very boring day. My husband took the boys to school. I woke up around 10:30, took a shower and was bored the rest of the day. I did have to go to a teacher conference for one of my sons. That was fun trying to talk to the teacher with the splint in my mouth. I haven't eaten much at all today. I'm starving. My husband brought me some mashed potatoes/gravy from KFC, but they grossed me out, so I didn't eat. Not good. I want some real food. I want nachos. Mmmmm, that sounds so good. Ugh, this sucks. Okay, enough whining. :)


Day 14: I didn't post yesterday so I'm putting Day 13 and 14 together. I slept in until noon today. I had to go to the orthodontist at 2:00. It was my first day out on my own. Everyone at the ortho office was so nice, saying how good I look and how they were surprised that I don't have much swelling or bruising. The ortho couldn't really see in my mouth much, but he said he was happy with what he could see. I'll see him again after I get this splint out.

I was finally starving enough today to make potato leek soup. It was a recipe I got online and it was so good. It was really nice to get some food in my stomach. I think I ate 3 bowls of it. I had added extra butter and cream so it was nice and fattening.

I'm being impatient and really wishing this swelling would go down faster. I was thinking about it, and the surgery/recovery really weren't that bad at all. Not even close to as bad as I thought it was going to be. Dr. Paz was saying that years ago, patients would have to be completely wired shut for 10 weeks!! I can't even imagine. I was shocked that Dr. Relle cut my bands 9 days after my surgery. It's pretty amazing. I really can't complain ~ hardly any bruising, minimal swelling, minimal numbness, clear sinuses after surgery, no vomiting, and hardly any pain ~ I feel really lucky. I think I'll give all the credit to Dr. Relle. :) He really is good at what he does.

Okay, I don't know if that is bruising on my lower face/chin or what, but the color is really weird.



5 comments:

x said...

WOW! your looking amazing! Hearing how your recovery was not as bad as you thought it would be is so encouraging, even though I know everyone is different . I just hope I am that lucky! Very happy for you! take care :)

Rita said...

You are looking great!!! The food will be here soon... don't worry. I found buying the soup in the cans and straining the contents out, then adding crushed crackers (let them sit and turn to mush) filled me up a lot. I had milkshakes a lot too. Today I am going to try to eat again, but my palate is kind of hurting this morning, so we will see. I will be taking my soup to work just in case.

Hang in there, I am living proof that it does get better. I thought I was going to die, but I am still here and getting stronger and stronger every day. Lots of Love to you. : )

Oh, I did answer your chewing question on my blog. I will update on this again tonight. Now it is off to work for me.. : )

Leah said...

Hi Aimee,

I think you look great, especially considering what you've been through ! You make me fee so much more at ease, since we have the same surgeon. I was in Dr Relle's office yesterday and he and Dr Williams send their hellos!
You weren't kidding - that SMOD appt took 3 hrs and the blood donation took another hour and a half...
I was exhausted by the end of the day!

~Leah

sjp said...

it makes me SOOOO happy to hear that your recovery was not as bad as you expected! i'm totally preparing myself for the worst possible scenario, and i hope i get the same surprise that i recover well! it must feel nice to be getting out and actually feeling hungry-- that has to be a good sign!

Aimee said...

Thank you all! I'm feeling better every day.

Leah, I forgot to mention Dr. Williams! He is awesome. I love him. He always has that big smile on his face and is so nice and personable. He's awesome. You are in good hands ~ nothing to fear.

sjp ~ you'll do great! I was expecting much worse. Of course the first few days aren't fun, but you'll be back on your feet in no time.