Sunday, May 10, 2009

Day 12, My Mama's Gone Home :-(

Before I forget, I've meaning to mention that for the last 4 or 5 nights I have been sleeping on my side and not upright. I guess it doesn't matter. I was really surprised to wake up on my side one morning and then just decided to start sleeping like that at night. It's way more comfortable and I guess my jaw can't come apart or anything? Lots of drool on my pillow though.
My mom went home today so I have to start fending for myself. :) I was so sad to see her go. Even though I was on painkillers most of the time she was here and not very aware of anything, it was so nice to have her here. She kept the place clean, beds made, laundry done, kids' lunches packed, not to mention just having her here for the moral support. I can't thank her enough. My hubby is going to take the kids to school for two more days and then it's back to reality for me.
Tonight as I was putting my rubberbands back on, I peeked up underneath my upper lip and almost puked. You would not believe how disgustingly raw it is. I just showed my husband and he told me I should not have shown him. He's all grossed out now. I'm surprised it doesn't hurt more. I don't even want to know what the rest of my mouth looks like ~ when I feel around with my tongue, there are areas that feel like raw bumpy meat. Yuck.
No pictures tonight. I'm not in the mood. :)

P.S. I would smile in my pictures, but it hurts sooo bad to smile. I guess it's because of the stitches underneath my top lip.


stephanie said...

Bummer that your mom is gone now. It's so nice that she was able to spend that time with you - Moms are so great!!

Is your lip raw because of the stitches and incision site, or have you been biting it, or what is it from? How is your tounge doing now?

momto5minnies said...

You are looking GREAT!!!! I just caught all your many pictures.

It really took a good 6 weeks for me to really feel like I had all my energy back. I'm such a high energy person, that it really was emotionally trying on me to not be 100% sooner.

One day at a time. It will keep improving!

Katherine (Kate) said...

Once a mom, always a mom! Belated 'Happy Mothers Day', by the way :)

If it means you sleep better, totally worth it~ that's what plates and screws are for,haha.

Maybe I'm a sicko, but grossness is intriguing. Like if you can get a good reaction out of somebody else, it changes the focus from "Oh no!" to a big party trick. As long as it doesn't get you in trouble anyways...

Those stitches should start to loosen up and let go soon and make smiling a lot more comfy. If they're a huge pain, maybe your surg could take them out for you at your next visit?

Good luck in the next stage; fending for yourself. And hope you've still got some help to pop in for a break when/if you need it.

Aimee said...

Stephanie, it looks like someone punched me in the mouth and my top lip just stayed stuck in my braces and my lip swelled around it. Hard to explain, but it's gross.

I can't wait to start feeling 100%. I just showered and am so tired I don't feel like blow drying my hair. But I have to or it will be a frizzy mess. The swelling isn't going down fast enough for me. :)

Rita said...

I agree about the swelling, mine isn't going away fast enough either. Sorry about your mother leaving. My 16 year old daughter has been my major support and help. My husband has helped some, but he has to work. Your top lip will be better soon and the bumpy meat feeling will also "smooth" out. I am still tired when I overdo things. I am back at work now and that has made me more tired. I think I will start the gym back next week and see if that gives me any more energy. I hope so. Glad you are doing well. It will get better and better each day. Bless ya! : )

Summer said...

Ugh, I know exactly what you mean about the inside of your mouth feeling raw. Once my wires were cut and I could open my mouth again, I put wax on the brackets in the back - that seemed to really help. Rita's right, it will smooth out but it will take a little time. Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

i just had the surgery and its day 7 for me. when were you able to talk?