Monday, April 20, 2009

I'm nervous

I picked up my molds from Dr. Paz today and brought them over to Dr. Relle. Dr. Relle showed me how Dr. Paz wants my teeth to be after surgery. Some of my molars are pretty worn down so instead of shaving more of my front teeth down, they are making my bite in such a way that Dr. Paz is going to have to "grow" my molars after surgery to make them fit in the new bite. I hope it all works out like they are planning.
As I was leaving Dr. Relle's office, it hit me that surgery is next week!! I started feeling sick to my stomach. I'm sure this is a normal reaction to having surgery, but I was feeling fine and excited up until today. I can't believe how fast it's coming. I don't feel ready!! It was easy to say I was excited when the surgery was some unknown future date, but now that it's almost here, it's freaking me out. My friend Stephanie asked me what I was most nervous about and I really don't know. I guess it's just a bunch of things... the anticipation of it all, going under, having my jaws broken and put back together, recovery, not being able to eat much for awhile, all of it. Two and a half years ago I was in the hospital for 4 days - it was a bad experience. I'm hoping Dr. Relle will let me go home the day after surgery because I do not want to stay in the hospital any longer than I have to. Having to stay in the hospital is a big part of my being nervous also. Anyway, that's it for today. I'll be going to see Dr. Paz on Wednesday to get my surgical hooks put on. They said it will be a 2-hour appointment. Until then...

6 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

With this kind of surgery, and everything it entails, I think it would be weird NOT to get nerves! As long as it's not incapasitating or full blown panic attack~ my diagnosis would be 100% normal, haha. HELLO, how many other surgeries have this kind of time-consuming prep and follow through? New boobs would be much more relaxing, lol.

I am so excited for you, Aimee. Just think how close you are to not having to wait anymore. I swear it's the waiting that does us in.

So is it possible? No more last minute molds to be taken? ;)

Michelle said...

Good luck with everything. Feeling nervous is definitely part of the journey. Hopefully, you will have a positive experience at the hospital. I stayed at the hospital for 2 nights, and it was well worth it. In fact, I didn't want to go home because I received such great care!

If your experience is like mine, you will be under heavy medication following the surgery. (I was on morphine.) So you'll be really tired and sleepy. All the nerves you feel now will be long gone by the time you wake up from surgery.

And the dietary changes won't be as bad as you may think it is. You'll probably won't even want to eat as much, and liquid diets fill the belly up differently than eating solid foods.

So long as you take things easy, you should be fine. I will send you positive thoughts and hope everything goes swimmingly well. Good luck!!

:0)
M

V said...

Aimee if I made it through, then you will DEFINITELY be fine!! Pre-game nerves are completely normal, I even had a cry the morning of my surgery just cos it all got a bit overwhelming, and no matter how much you prepare, you'll never feel totally ready...

But it's all worth it for the RELIEF you'll feel when it's finally happened, and there's nothing more to worry about!!!

stephanie said...

Dude, I'm nervous and I'm months away!

Thinking of you!

funkyrhodes said...

Hi Aimee, I'm truly excited for you! I'm sure your tummy's a-fluttering in anticipation for the big day. I'm sure everything will be just fine and you'll be home before you know it!

Aimee said...

Thank you all for leaving such positive, encouraging comments. It really means a lot to me. I'm feeling a bit better today. My face is breaking out like crazy, so I guess I'm more stressed out than I thought. :)
The time is going by so fast. Thanks again!
xoxo,
aimee